Need some help getting more sleep, managing your stress or increasing your productivity? There’s an app for that! Check out this list of apps that could help you improve your health.
Improve Your Sleep
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has labeled insufficient sleep a public health problem. An estimated 50-70 million adults in the United States suffers from a sleep disorder like insomnia or sleep apnea. If you feel that you’re not getting a good night’s rest, consider trying some of these apps:
- Pzizz: This free app uses music, sound effects and rhythmic beats to help you fall asleep and stay asleep. Whether you’re using the application for a good night’s sleep or for a quick power nap, this app will wake you gently and leave you feeling refreshed and re-energized.
- Sleep Genius: Developed by neuroscientists and sleep and sound experts, Sleep Genius helps you get the best sleep. With customized playlists and a “revive cycle alarm,” it’s designed to help you get to sleep faster and wake up more gradually. The basic version of this app is free but an in-app purchase will unlock premium features.
- SleepTime+: This app is hard at work while you sleep, monitoring various factors that affect your quality of sleep through your phone’s sensors. In addition to this convenient tracking, SleepTime+ uses soundscapes to help you sleep and smart alarm features when you need to wake up. You can download this app for $1.99.
Manage Stress and Anxiety Better
About 40 million Americans suffer from an anxiety disorder, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, and many other people experience stress regularly. If your stress levels are high or you suffer from anxiety, try some of these apps to help manage your stress levels and relieve anxiety symptoms.
- Self-Help for Anxiety Management (SAM): Trying to relax when suffering from anxiety or high levels of stress can seem impossible. This free app can help you manage and track your anxiety levels by providing relaxation instruction and anxiety treatment guidance. The app also features interactive relaxation tools to help you during high-stress situations.
- Happily: Reduce stress and increase happiness with Happify. This app uses games and goal setting to end negative thought patterns. Happify is free in both the Android® and Apple® app stores.
- The Mindfulness App: A leading meditation app for both iPhone and Android, Mindfulness helps lead your journey to a more relaxed and healthier state of mind. Offering a variety of guided and silent meditation options, it’s perfect for beginners and those more experienced in meditation practices. You can find this app for $1.99 in your app store.
Increase Your Productivity
The right apps can help you get more done by helping you use your time more efficiently. Check out some of these selections:
- Evernote: If you struggle with organization, let Evernote help you stay on task. This free app allows you to make and share to-do lists, manage collaborative projects and annotate your notes. Add on the free Scannable app and store meeting notes, business cards and other documents to make Evernote your one-stop shop for your organizational needs.
- EasilyDo: Who needs an assistant when you have EasilyDo? This free app automates those pesky time-consuming tasks. Text your spouse a reminder to pick up milk on his or her way home, or tell a friend you’re running late for lunch. With EasilyDo, you can even send out happy birthday notifications on social media with the click of a button.
- Google Keep: By sticking to the basics, Google can help you organize your daily activities through the traditional concept of sticky notes. Quickly jot down thoughts and notes then receive a reminder later. You can add photos, links and even color code your virtual sticky notes. Download this nifty app on your smartphone free of charge!
Improve Your Overall Fitness:
Check out these helpful apps and see why getting fit has never been easier.
- Fitbit: The Fitbit is one of the more popular apps to date, especially when paired with the Fitbit device that comes in the form of a bracelet. That said, you actually don’t have to buy the device to take advantage of some of the features in this free app. The Fitbit app alone can track your steps, miles and calories burned. The app can even help you keep track of your weight and food intake when you log information. If you choose to purchase the device, you’ll gain access to information about your sleep patterns and more.
- Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout: Get in a workout even when you’re short on time with this app. Designed with your convenience in mind, this free app offers dozens of exercises that you can customize to meet your needs and help you make the most of every minute. Build custom workouts, watch demonstrations straight from your mobile device and track your workouts to get the best results.
- Charity Miles: This free app will help your miles make a difference. Charity Miles will pair you with an organization willing to donate money to your charity of choice for each mile walked. Choose your own charity from an extensive list and watch the dollars add up as you get moving.
Reviews are not scientific and are the sole opinions of the reviewers, not an endorsement by BCBST of any specific app or device.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee members can access wellness-related discounts on fitness products, gym memberships, healthy eating and more through Blue365®. BCBST members can also use tools and resources to help improve health and well-being by logging into BlueAccess and going to the in the Member Wellness Center under the Managing Your Health tab.
WellTuned provides inspiration and practical advice for healthy living.
WellTuned does not offer medical advice. Any personal health questions should be addressed to your doctor.