Brussels sprouts have long been a dinnertime enemy, but it’s time to make this little veggie with a bad reputation your friend. Not only are Brussels sprouts delicious, but they’re also good for you. Packed with vitamins A, C and K, they also contain high levels of potassium and folate.
Try these simple Brussels sprouts recipes and fall in love with this tasty, healthy vegetable.
Basic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pint Brussels sprouts
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Trim the bottoms of your sprouts, then slice each in half from top to bottom. Heat the oil in a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Place the sprouts in the pan with the cut side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook on the stovetop until the sprouts begin to brown on the bottom. Transfer the pan to your oven. Roast for about 10 to 20 minutes, shaking the pan every five minutes, until your sprouts are quite brown and tender.
- Taste, and sprinkle with more salt and pepper if necessary.
Want more flavor? Add a few cloves of peeled garlic, a teaspoon of red pepper flakes or a few sprigs of thyme to the roasting pan before you put it in the oven. Or drizzle your sprouts with balsamic vinegar, or sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese after they come out of the oven.
Grilled Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1 pound of Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked until crisp and drained of fat
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar reduction
- Heat your grill to 300 degrees.
- Preheat a grill pan over indirect heat.
- Wash and trim the ends of your sprouts. Slice them in half lengthwise. Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place your sprouts on the grill pan. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes until caramelized and soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the grill and transfer the sprouts into a serving bowl. Let them cool slightly and then toss them with the crumbled bacon. Top with balsamic reduction. Serve warm.
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallots
Blend the first six ingredients in a food processor or blender. Slowly pour in the oil and blend until combined. Stir in the shallots.
For the salad:
- 10 ounces trimmed and thinly shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pear, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
Mix the ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing.
What are some of your favorite Brussels sprouts recipes? Let us know by commenting below.