When you load up the car for your family’s summer vacation, don’t pack the kids with empty calories too. Instead, make some healthy road trip snacks for kids to enjoy during the ride.
- Whole-grain cereals are easy to pack. Look for brands high in fiber and low in sugar.
- Make a healthier oatmeal cookie with this recipe that uses applesauce, rolled oats and almond milk.
- For a twist on the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich, roll it up in a whole grain tortilla.
- Combine the sweetness of goji berries with the protein of walnuts for a satisfying trail mix.
- Combine nuts and dried fruits, like cherries and pistachios for a tasty and satisfying treat.
- Make smoothies by combining yogurt, milk, juice, fruit or vegetables. The combinations are endless, but get started with this recipe that blends strawberries, yogurt and spinach.
- Mini pancakes and waffles are easy for kids to hold in the car. Look for the variety made with whole grains.
- Pop and flavor your own popcorn using spices, cheese, chocolate chips or even curry. Here’s a list of 30 ideas to get you started.
- Hard boiled eggs are a great source of protein and easy to make ahead of time then toss into a cooler.
- For a sweet treat, try these energy bites, made from oats, orange juice, and chocolate chips.
- Skip the potato chips and try a healthier alternative apple or kale chips.
- Bake brownies in a muffin pan for easier transport. To make them healthier, follow this recipe and add a cup of shredded zucchini. Your kids will never know the difference.
Do you have any ideas for healthy road trip snacks? Let us know by commenting below!
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee members can access wellness-related discounts on fitness products, gym memberships, healthy eating and more through Blue365®. BCBST members can also use tools and resources to help improve health and well-being by logging into BlueAccess and going to the in the Member Wellness Center under the Managing Your Health tab.