For many Tennesseans, winter’s overcast skies, along with decreased activity, can lead to the winter blues. Our attention turns from outdoor recreation to indoor activities. When we spend more time indoors, we breathe stale air most of the day. But, you can lift your mood and cleanse the air naturally with winter-themed essential oils.
- Keep your house smelling fresh by adding a couple of drops of oil to a diffuser. Good choices include frankincense, myrrh, sweet orange, clove, peppermint and cinnamon.
- Lavender and chamomile help relieve stress before bedtime. Add 12 drops of either oil, or a combination of the two, to a warm bath. If you have any minor aches and pains, add two cups of Epsom salt and 1/4 cup of baking soda to the bath and soak for 20 minutes.
- Tea tree oil is the go-to oil for minor burns. Before you apply it, douse the area with aloe gel (from a plant or a bottle) and let the aloe dry. Then apply a few drops of tea tree oil directly to the burn.
- Fight colds and the flu by adding a few drops of lemon, eucalyptus, rosemary and lavender to a bath or a diffuser.
- The Thieves blend is my favorite winter blend. This germ-fighting combo pairs lemon, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary. You can purchase a Thieves blend or make your own. I add a few drops of the blend to baking soda for use in my cat’s litter boxes.
- Clear stale air by adding a few drops of eucalyptus, lavender, lemon and tea tree oil to a spray bottle. Use as an air and surface disinfectant.
- Romantic essential oils include rose (floral), ylang ylang (floral), sandalwood (woody), patchouli (earthy), jasmine (floral) and neroli (orange blossom). Add a few drops of any single oil above to some warmed fractionated coconut oil for a massage. Combine rose and sandalwood oils to temper the sweetness of rose.
- Sitting at a computer all day, followed by an evening of watching TV glued to the couch, can leave you stiff and achy. Just before bedtime, enjoy a warm bath. Then apply a lotion or carrier oil with a few drops of peppermint oil to painful areas to melt away your aches and pains.
You can use these winter-themed essential oils year round, but they’re especially suited for those cool winter days and nights.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee members can access wellness-related discounts on fitness products, gym memberships, healthy eating and more through Blue365®. BCBST members can also use tools and resources to help improve health and well-being by logging into BlueAccess and going to the in the Member Wellness Center under the Managing Your Health tab.
WellTuned provides inspiration and practical advice for healthy living.
WellTuned does not offer medical advice. Any personal health questions should be addressed to your doctor.