CBD oil is everywhere these days: lotion, pills, inhalers, baked goods and even beverages. But what exactly is it — and is it safe?
Here’s what you need to know about CBD oil in Tennessee.
What is CBD oil?
- THC, the psychoactive compound that makes people feel “high,” and
- CBD, a compound that has no psychoactive effects and is believed by some to have calming, pain-reducing or anti-inflammatory benefits
How does CBD oil work?
CBD oil is extracted from the flowers and buds of hemp plants, and it can be ingested, inhaled or used topically. CBD lotions and creams are often made using menthol or other cooling compounds, so they may create a pleasant, tingly sensation when applied.
Why do people use CBD oil?
CBD oil is most commonly used to treat:
- Anxiety, depression, and stress
- Trouble sleeping
- Chronic pain (especially from arthritis and multiple sclerosis)
- Side effects of cancer treatment including nausea, vomiting and pain
While not as common, some people believe CBD oil has antipsychotic effects, can aid in substance abuse treatment and may help reduce diabetes. However experts say there is little confirmed evidence for most of these benefits so far. The FDA has approved a CBD oral solution for the treatment of epileptic seizures.
Is CBD oil legal in Tennessee?
Yes. CBD oil is legal in Tennessee and in many other states (but not all). With one of the highest opioid addiction rates in the country, some experts in Tennessee hope CBD oil might eventually provide an alternative for people using opioids to treat pain or anxiety, though more studies are needed to confirm CBD oil’s ability to do so.
Will CBD oil make you test positive for drugs?
Properly produced CBD oil should not make you fail a drug test. However, because CBD products do contain a trace amount of THC (no more than 0.3%), there is always a chance, which is one reason it’s important to purchase CBD oil from a trusted source.
Will CBD oil make you feel intoxicated?
No. CBD oil should not intoxicate you. It is not psychoactive, so you shouldn’t experience a change in your state of mind.
Are there any negative side effects of CBD oil?
The World Health Organization reports that “cannabidiol does not appear to have abuse potential or cause harm,” so by and large, it is safe. However it may cause adverse reactions in some people, including:
- Changes in appetite
Other concerns include the fact that:
- CBD is currently produced without regulation, which means products vary widely in quality
- Less than 20% of the drug is absorbed orally, so if it isn’t made properly, it won’t work, and
- People taking anti-epilepsy drugs along with CBD oil will need to adjust their dosage to avoid side effects.
For most people, CBD oil shouldn’t cause any problems, but since it is so new, consult your doctor before using it.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee members can access wellness-related discounts on fitness products, gym memberships, healthy eating and more through Blue365®. BCBST members can also use tools and resources to help improve health and well-being by logging into BlueAccess and going to the in the Member Wellness Center under the Managing Your Health tab.